Thursday, March 5, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Delightful, funny, endearing...and the clothes... (and the SHOES), the clothes! it's all a nice bit of escapist fun. This movie is proof that I should ignore movie critics. The reviews were so bad that I didn't even want to see the movie, even though I loved the books. (A bit of advice about the books, they're a lot of fun, but don't read them back-to-back, too much Rebecca Bloomwood can wear on you.)

I have to disagree with the reviews I read. I thought the movie was a great. Yes, Becky does do a lot ridiculous things and doesn't always (often) make good choices, but it's all somehow lighthearted fun. Her heart is in the right place, even if she's frequently (extremely) short-sighted. While Becky's outfits leaned a little too far towards Carrie Bradshaw's costumes (excuse me, outfits), for me, they were still beautiful.

I wish I'd paid more attention to who was writing all those bad reviews, because they clearly missed the point. As for the "unfortunate timing" of the movie's release, in the midst of the worst economic crisis ever (whether or not that is true remains to be seen, but that's sure the story all the talking heads are selling on television), making the movie "out of place" and "grating" (I'm quoting the aforementioned reviewers.); there was only one line that really bothered me during the whole movie, as far as the current economic crisis goes, and for the life of me, I can't remember what it was.

I think the biggest point the haters missed is that this is FICTION, not a how-to-manual. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.

Isla Fischer is delightful. Krysten Ritter is wonderful as Suze, I absolutely loved her, in spite of the fact that the character is completely WRONG visa vie the book. I also really enjoyed John Goodman and Joan Cusak (brilliant) despite the complete remake of Becky's parents. All of the casting was brilliant, actually, except for Luke. I had a totally different image of Luke, it just never really worked for me, however, I like Hugh Darcy enough that by the next movie (please keep making them) I'm sure I'll be totally over it. Overall, I found the (huge) discrepancies between the book and the movie to be confusing, but I'm not going to say anything more about that, except that they were jarring and significant enough to have me very confused as to how they're planning to plot the sequels.

My advice, definitley worth seeing.

No comments: