Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Proposal

Powerful, successful female executive has to marry her hot, younger, assistant to avoid being deported - the "marriage of convenience" for the 21st century. In less deft hands the somewhat tired premise might have fallen flat, but The Proposal was a fun surprise. I'm sure it helped that I really like both of the actors headlining the movie and that supporting cast was fantastic. (I just love Craig T. Nelson.) Betty White really did steal the show - she's absolutely brilliant.

{Spoiler Alert}

I have to admit that I was rooting for any ending other than Margaret and Andrew falling in love, but the inevitable managed to be believable despite Margaret's fire-breathing, ball-busting, persona and Andrew's fed up, slightly subversive, put upon assistant you meet, initially. I just wanted to be surprised by a different kind of ending. For instance, what if they went through with their sham marriage, fast forward a couple of years to the post-divorce dinner and they part as friends and Margaret realizes that she's ready to take a shot at love, for real. I don't know, maybe it's just me, maybe a different happy ending wouldn't have worked. I will say I agree with Rhonda who pointed out you have to be careful wishing for something other than the "usual". I don't think anybody felt satisfied with the way "The Break Up" ended.

No comments: