Wednesday, July 8, 2009

To LinkIn Or Not To LinkIn

I've been hearing a lot lately about developing a personal social media strategy. I have to admit, I haven't given a lot of thought to it. But, I guess I do have at least a basic strategy.

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around Twitter, so at this point, I'm just trying to follow people I think are interesting and find at least one relevant thing to tweet every day, and retweets don't count. I'm also not mobile right now, so I don't have to worry about tweeting inappropriately.

Facebook is for friends and family. Yes, there are FB friends where the relationship started out professionally, but at least on some level, it crossed into personal territory. I don't make or accept friend requests from people I only know professionally. It's nothing personal, it's just that I don't think my colleagues need to see pictures of me at the beach or of my cousin getting a lap dance (I'm sure his wife LOVED that piece of ancient history one of his "friends" posted, recently.)

LinkedIn is for professional relationships. Yes, I'm LinkedIn with a lot of my friends, but primarily, it's for professional contacts. I don't accept LinkedIn requests from people I don't know and just attending the same university doesn't count. (Both CSU campuses I attended had between 30,000 - 40,000 students at any given time.) All of the people I am currently LinkedIn with are people I KNOW, people I've worked with or at least spent some time with in some form or fashion. People I feel I can vouch for their character, work ethic, etc. But I find things are getting a little sticky.

So, my question to you is, if you met someone at a professional event, spoke for a few minutes and exchanged business cards, would you send them a LinkedIn request? Would you accept a LinkedIn request from them?

3 comments:

Lulu said...

Woman! It's called networking!!

What if someone you meet for 15 minutes sends you an invite for linked in, which after you accept, see they are connected to the CEO of the company you are dying to work for? Kind of seems silly not to invest in a simple profile.

It's truly more of a professional network, not a fun social thing.

KB said...

What if the person in question behaved somewhat boorishly at said event? Would you still accept the invitation?

Rhonda Sloan said...

No and no. I feel like I should really know someone before I vouch for them.