Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Julie & Julia

Delightful, delicious....

I read the book (and loved it) so it's no big shock that I enjoyed the movie. Amy Adams is great as Julie Powell and Meryl Streep is amazing as Julia Child (big shock, non?!?). She is incredible, but her ability to disappear in to a role so completely still takes me by surprise. Nora Ephron did a fantastic job of traveling between Julie and Julia making it impossible not to fall in love with both. I read recently that Ephon's goal was to make you leave the theater ravenous; in that regard she failed. I walked in stuffed after a fantastic lunch at Ruggles Green and continued to eat throughout the movie. In all fairness, I guess that wasn't really Nora's fault. It did renew my desire to buy "The Mastering Art of French Cooking" and attempt at least some of the recipes, like boeuf bourguignon and the lucious looking chocolate almond cake, but there is no way I'm touching any of the aspics....ewwww.

So, celebrate Julia Child's upcoming birthday and go see the movie.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Yep, loved the movie, too! I particularly liked how Nora mirrored the events in their lives.

I've had my Julia inspirations before to get cooking but this movie had me want to run away to France instead!