Monday, July 5, 2010

Annoying Words

Cougar. I have come to hate the word. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me, but yesterday I ran across the most egregious use of the word, so far.

The term, when used in its original context is annoying enough. But, I can handle it with it refers to women over 40 with a prurient and predatory interest in men in their 20s. I find it annoying when it is applied to any woman dating a younger man, no matter who small age difference. Referring to Eva Longoria as a cougar when she started dating Tony Parker (7 year age difference) was eye roll inducing. Seriously, she was what, 32, when they got married? Cougar? I think not.

Referring to any single woman over 40 as cougar is offensive (from my perspective as a single woman over 40). However, calling 20 year old Taylor Swift a cougar for dating 18 year old Taylor Lautner is ridiculous. Yes, you read that correctly, in issue #1082/1083 - December 25, 2009/January 1, 2010 (double issue) Entertainment Weekly deemed Taylor Swift "the cougar in the relationship" when discussing the two Taylors relationship. {Yes, I know, old news - I'm behind on my reading.}

Deeming a 20 year old a cougar is a pretty good indication that it's time to retire this stupid term.

2 comments:

Trix in the City said...

I'm with ya... OVER IT!! That doesn't even make sense! A cougar at 20?? And dating a guy who is only 2 years younger? DUMB. I agree... people are getting carried away with this whole "cougar" thing. Apparently I'm a cougar now just because I'm 40... even though I'm not dating a younger man. Idiots!

GLM said...

Did you hear the new label "they" are trying to put out there for guys over 40 who prefer to date significantly younger women? Manthers...I guess cradle-robber and dirty old man is overly descriptive?

I'm not cougar material either since I have no patience for dealing with "cubs."

Maybe "Shaguar" or "Cheetah" would be more appropriate -- if one must identify with a member of the large cat family -- for those of us over 40 who prefer to date men close to our own age or older?