Friday, November 28, 2008

Coddling An Egg

Recently, I made a Caesar's salad from scratch. (I know, I know, woo-hoo you made a salad). I've made salad dressing before, not that big a deal, but never Caesar and I made the croutons. The only thing that was a real challenge was coddling the egg for dressing.


Before I found this recipe for authentic Caesar's salad the only place I'd heard coddled eggs mentioned was in 19th century historical fiction. But it didn't sound too hard. After bringing an extremely fresh egg to room temperature (to prevent cracking) place egg in a mug and pour boiling water over the egg until it is submerged. Let sit for exactly one minute. Well, it's not as easy as it sounds.

Egg # 1 - cracked when the boiling water was introduced
Egg # 2 - cracked when I smashed it in to the faucet (why did I have an egg in my hand when I tried to turn on the faucet? ???)
Egg # 3 - success (I think)
Egg #4 - cracked when the boiling water was introduced
Egg # 5 - success

The recipe did say mayonnaise can be substituted for the egg and recommended reducing "some" of the oil olive. Some??? How much is some? I hate ambiguity, especially in cooking.

One tip - do NOT stick your finger in to the mug of boiling water to check on your egg. Use a spoon.


The end result was not spectacular and it was pretty runny, but when the homemade dressing and the bottled dressing (always have a back up plan) were mixed together something quite tasty emerged.

Update: I googled Caesar dressing and every other recipe I found had a lot more ingredients. So much for my "original classic Caesar's salad" recipe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The combo was very tasty though! Kudos for the effort! I just brought wine!