Friday, September 24, 2010

Fairy Lawn Mother

It's no secret I've been a bit challenged by my new yard. I did, however, have a plan. A shiny new lawn mower and an appointment with a lawn service to give the yard a good once over before I attempt it myself.

But, then I came home tonight to this:



At some point today my fairy lawn mother showed up and mowed the lawn, and mowed the ditch where the grass was over two feet long (is it still grass when it's that long or has it become hay?) and trimmed around the house, the fence and the three crepe myrtles. They also uncovered quite a bit of sidewalk. I wish I had taken a picture of the disaster to show how much they did.

I was pretty confused until I realized my neighbor's lawn was also newly manicured, although his always looks good. Here's the really cool part. Over the last two weeks a group of people has been working on my neighbor's house. (He's been in a wheelchair for over 20 years and recently had his second leg amputation earlier this year.) They scraped the peeling paint, replaced all the deteriorating wood, completely rebuilt the wheelchair ramp AND painted the whole house. They were back tonight finishing up and after all that, they decided to ask the lawn service who looks after his yard to mow mine for "inconveniencing me" by using some of my driveway. Seriously? They donated their time to do a ton of work and then took care of my lawn.

Sometimes people don't suck.

1 comment:

Rhonda Sloan said...

Wow -- what a nice gesture! Now your parents can get you something more fun for housewarming!