Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

Today I am thankful for so many things.

For my entire, extended, far-flung family.  Even though I don't get to see them nearly as much as I'd like, I'm blessed to have them in my life and very lucky to count among them some of my best friends.

For each of the five dogs currently living in my house.  Petey and Kara, the permanent residents, who keep me on my toes and tolerate (Petey) and enjoy (Kara) the stream of visitors we've had over the last year.  Momma Dog, (aka Pearl) the funny, feisty little dog who has been with Pup Squad for over a year and is still looking for her forever home.  Abbey, who has to be the best dog ever.  Sweet, gentle and desperate to please, surely her family is almost here.  And, Tessie, the newest addition to our little menagerie and Kara's BFF. (Two peas in a pod, those two.)  You definitely keep me on my toes, but I'm never bored and no matter how crazy things get, your affection, your silliness and your genuine joy lift me up.

For losing my job in 2008.  While that was a traumatic start to a winding and not always easy journey, it was worth every step.  The life I've remade myself with help from some pretty amazing people is better than anything I could have imagined for myself. I love every crazy minute of it.  And for all those people, who played a role in that transformation, large and small, I am so incredibly grateful to you.

For my job, which I LOVE.  It was worth the wait and the detours.

For my health.  While my body occasionally reminds me that I'm not 25 anymore (yes, that's me collapsed in a heap at BarreFit on Monday nights), I am so blessed to not have any serious medical issues and I know it.

For my friends who each brings something unique and marvelous to my life.  I learn so much for each of you and count myself truly blessed to have you in my life.

For the staff at 24 Hour Fitness who came to work on Thanksgiving morning, so I could feel a little less guilty about today's food fest and ultimately inspired this post.

And last, but definitely not least, for the privilege of living in this fantastic, screwed up, messy country where  we all have the freedom to express ourselves and fight for what we each believe is right.   I'm forever grateful for all of those, past, present and future in our military and all of their sacrifices, big and small, that make it possible for the rest of us to live free and secure.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: