Saturday, November 19, 2011

Warrior Dash III

Or as I like to call it, the Final Chapter.

Ran another Warrior Dash today (and by ran, I mean walked) in Bastrop.  Don't get me wrong, it was a blast!  Great team of fellow pilgrims, a turkey and an Indian (Happy Thanksgiving).  We definitely had the best costumes at least until the World of WWF showed up.  
(Thank you Lu and Kim for coming up with them and Brad for being willing to wear the Turkey costume) 




This way, by far, the hardest course I've done.  It was hillier and included a HUGE (20+ foot) wall that one was expected to pull oneself up with the assistance of a rope and some questionably spaced 2x4s.  Walked around it.  I did actually try, but that bit of fun was towards the very end and I was tired.  It just didn't seem worth the effort and/or the possibility of injury.  (My spirit of competitiveness ends completely when faced with the possibility of injury.  Probably why I never did that well at team sports.)

I started things off with a bang by falling down in the quicksand mud pit.  Then I got stuck. Seriously, good and thoroughly stuck. Unless I was willing to give up my shoes, I could not move.  Fortunately, a good Samaritan came along and dug under my feet to break the vacuum and I was off and "running" again.

I had a lot of fun, despite carrying an extra 50 lbs of mud around, a tough course and the blowing dirt thanks to the combination of wind and the effects of the drought.  But, along the course, I found myself wanting to skip about half of the obstacles.  Ultimately, I skipped two, the aforementioned wall and the horizontal rope web.  (Thank you Kim, for suggesting we skip that one.) It's hard to navigate and our unconventional rolling across approach wasn't going to work bogged down by all that mud. 

Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind, but I think my time with Warrior Dash has come to an end.  

No comments: