Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Cell Phone Etiquette Part 2

I've always thought it was tacky, if not downright rude to talk on a cell phone while completing a purchase. But, now that I've spent quite a bit of time over the past few weeks behind a cash register, I have a new perspective.

It doesn't (always) bother me as much as I thought it would. But, here's a secret, cashiers can tell if you're stuck on the phone and/or actually dealing with something important or not. If you're stuck in a situation beyond your control, no harm, no foul. The harried mother trying to deal with the kids with her while talking to the kids back home (and usually apologizing to me the whole time) has my complete sympathy. There are several other types of cellshoppers who also fall in to this category and, truly, I'm not bothered by these situations.

However, the people who are clearly just carrying on extended chit chat sessions are another story. Are you seriously so self-absorbed that you can't take two minutes out of your day to give the cashier your full attention, basic respect and common courtesy. Trust me the people behind you would appreciate it, too. While the first category of cellshopper usually tries hard to wrap everything up as quickly as possible, this second group takes their own sweet time with no regard to the line of people behind them as the fumble one handed with their purchases, their change, etc.

While the register line chatters are rude, there are a group of even worse offenders. People who ask for assistance and STILL carry on their conversations. This is so beyond rude I can't find the words. I have been monopolized by people who asked for my help and then forced me to wait around for them to take a breath so I can get a word in edgewise, usually with a line of other people waiting for assistance.

I can't decide if this is a matter of being unbelievably self-centered, completely oblivious or deluded into thinking that acting this way makes them seem important. (Trust me, no one thinks you're so busy/important/special that you can't get off the phone, they just think you're rude.) I guess it really doesn't matter why they do it, just that they do it. So, once again people, I'm going to say GET OFF THE PHONE!


And don't even get me started on the people who can't take their iPod earphones out...and guess what it's not teenagers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What bugs me are the people with the phones clipped to their ears and I don't know if they're talking to me or someone in their ear.

Rhonda Sloan said...

I hate those blue tooth headsets too. And why do you need to just keep it on your ear all day???

KB said...

It's the newest in fashion accessories. Actually, I think those things are the dumbest things ever.