Monday, January 12, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I can't comment on the quality of the adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's short story, since I've never read it. (Okay, let's be completely honest here, I didn't realize it was based on a F. Scott Fitzgerald short story until about two weeks ago, quite an embarrassing gap in my literary education.) However, I am definitely going to read the short story now, I'm in awe of sheer imagination of such a unique story. The concept of aging backwards completely fascinates me.


What I can say, is that the movie is fantastic. The deft storytelling draws you in and somehow makes aging backwards seem completely plausible. It's at once heart warming and heart breaking. The entire cast was amazing, but Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett disappeared in to the characters, which given Pitt's current state of celebrity is quite a feat. Don't be intimated by the 2 hour and 47 minute running time, the movie doesn't feel long at all. One final note, telling the story against the backdrop of Hurricane Katrina could have been heavy handed or preachy, but somehow it was brilliant.

No comments: